Frank F. Elliott passed the Survey Certificate examination of the University of the Cape of Good Hope in 1899, qualified as a land surveyor in 1901, and was registered as such in the Colony of the Cape of Good Hope the next year. In May 1903 he was appointed as assistant to the Registry Survey in the Deeds Office, Cape Town, but also worked in private practice from 1902 to 1912. In April of the latter year, after the formation of the Union of South Africa in 1910, he was appointed as chief computer and draughtsman under surveyor-general A.H. Cornish-Bowden* in Cape Town. He rose to first professional assistant in 1917. Among others he compiled street plans of Franschhoek (1907) and Riversdale (1911), and a plan of a proposed township at the mouth of the Gouritz River (1915).
After some time as the regional surveyor-general in Bloemfontein Elliott became surveyor-general in Cape Town in 1932. That same year he visited the southern and eastern Cape Province, probably to attend to problems in communication and representation of the land surveyors working in these regions. He remained in his post until his retirement in 1937.