Charles Hamilton Dickson was educated in England at Marlborough College, Wiltshire, and at the Mining School at Camborne, Cornwall, where he received a gold medal for a treatise on the treatment of ores. He was an associate of the (British) Institution of Mining and Metallurgy, and a member of the (British) Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers. By 1903 he had joined the Chemical, Metallurgical and Mining Society of South Africa. Among the several papers that he published one was delivered before this society and dealt with assaying.
Charles was a son of Reverend G.D.W. Dickson of London and the brother of George A.H. Dickson, who came to the South African Republic (Transvaal) in 1890 and practiced as an architect in Pretoria and Johannesburg. Charles died of enteric fever at Rustenburg in 1904.