Henry J. Chalwin was a British horticulturalist with the Gold Coast [now Ghana] Botanical Station. Later he moved to the Cape Colony where he served on the first committee of the City and Suburban Horticultural Society, which was established in Cape Town in 1885. From 1886 or earlier he was head gardener at the Botanic Gardens in New Street, Cape Town. In 1893 his post was named Superintendent of the Municipal Gardens of Cape Town, and from 1896 Superintendent of Public Gardens and Tree Planting. He still held that position in 1909. During these years he amassed one of the best collections of orchids in South Africa. In 1897 he sent plant specimens to the Government Botanist, P. MacOwan*. He contributed many specimens from the gardens, including nine greenhouse orchids, to the herbarium of the South African Museum in 1907, followed by more cultivated plants in 1908. At this time he was a Fellow of the Royal Horticultural Society.