Mr. T.D. Butler donated some insects from around Cape Town and Caledon to the South African Museum in 1893, followed by more insects from Caledon the next year. He is again mentioned in the museum's Annual Report in 1905, having donated various insects from Johannesburg. In 1908 he donated ants from Kimberley, and some arachnids. During that same year he also presented to the museum a collection of 71 birds, representing 37 species, from the Modder River, a nest of the white-browed sparrow-weaver Plocepasser mahali, and some hares and steenboks.