Reverend Mr J.E.C. Goold was the principal of Prieska school from 1896 to 1899. He is presumably the same person as "J. Gould, late of Prieska", who donated a collection of coleoptera from there to the South African Museum, Cape Town, in 1899. The collection, which contained only one species new to the museum, was found interesting mainly because most of the specimens were dwarfed or much smaller than their congeners from other parts of South Africa. In 1902 "Mr J.E.C. Gould" donated a small collection of invertebrates from St Helena Bay, including some forms new to the museum. The land shell Euonyma gouldi was named after the collector, based on a wrong spelling of his surname.
In 1946 Goold was curate at St Mary's church, Woodstock (Cape Town).