Henry Leupold was employed as a mining and metallurgical engineer and mine manager at the Treasury Gold Mines in Johannesburg by 1905. He was a member of the (British) Institution of Mining and Metallurgy (MIMM). In 1903 he became a member of the Chemical, Metallurgical and Mining Society of South Africa and contributed a paper on "Improved sands and slimes samplers" to the society's Journal (1904/5, Vol. 5). He was an early member also of the South African Association for the Advancement of Science (founded in 1902) and was still listed as a member in 1906, but by that time resided in Buenos Aires, Argentina. A paper by him on "Winding by flat taper ropes from deep levels" was published in the Journal of the Mechanical Engineers' Association of the Witwatersrand (1902/3, Vol. 1(4), pp. 56-63). He remained a member when the association changed its name to the Transvaal Institute of Mechanical Engineers in 1905 and served on the council of the latter for 1905/6 and 1906/7. He must have left South Africa shortly after being elected for the second term in 1906.