Gerald Sutton, or "Jerry" as he was widely known, obtained a diploma in Sheep and Wool at the Grootfontein Agricultural College (at Middelburg, Eastern Cape) and spent a year working on a farm in England before starting his studies in the Veterinary Faculty of the University of Pretoria at Onderstepoort. After qualifying in 1936 he joined the civil service and was posted as State Veterinarian to Allerton (Pietermaritzburg, 1937) and then Middelburg (1938-1943) where he also lectured at Grootfontein College. In 1944 he transferred to the Onderstepoort Research Institute where he did some research in bacteriology and was responsible for the production and bottling of bacterial vaccines and managed the institute's experimental animals. From 1948 to 1987 he was a part-time senior lecturer in animal management for generations of veterinary students. For almost 20 years (1968-1987) he also acted as liaison officer of the institute, until his final retirement.