Captain von Zuelow (or von Zülow), an officer in German South West Africa (now Namibia), sent a collection of museum specimens from Swakopmund to Germany in or before 1901. In 1907, when the State Museum was established in Windhoek, he became the first chairman of the museum committee. During his period of service the museum was housed in two rooms on the plot of a waggon-builder and was open to the public on Wednesdays from 2 to 4 in the afternoon. Von Zuelow resigned his position on 20 July 1909, on account of his impending departure for Germany, leaving a cash balance of 1000 Marks in the museum fund. He was succeeded by Reverend Wandres.