G.T. Weeks collected plants on the Witwatersrand from about 1915. He was appointed as 'town botanist' of Johannesburg, but had vaguely defined duties which included the inspection of abattoirs and the judging of animals. The plants he collected included those that grew wild in the early Joubert Park. Owing to the foresight of Professor C.E. Moss* of the University of the Witwatersrand Weeks' specimens were preserved and became part of the Moss Herbarium at Wits.