Henry E. Trollip was the son of Joseph Trollip and his wife Phoebe Whitehead. On 23 April 1874 he married Helen Marsh. Henry and his son, A.E. Trollip, lived on the farm Fernrocks, near Tafelberg Station (south-east of Middelburg, Cape), probably until 1895. In that year they presented a number of valuable natural casts of various fossil reptiles to the Albany Museum, Grahamstown. The specimens were thought to belong to the genera Procolophon and Mesosaurus.
Henry also presented the museum with "two original bushman paintings" and one rock engraving from Fernrocks. The next year his son, then living on the farm Beaconsfield (near Graaff-Reinet), donated geological specimens.