George H. Stevens applied for land at Blaauwberg, near Cape Town, in 1892. From 1896 to at least the end of 1908 he made regular meteorological observations at Blaauwberg Strand (now Bloubergstrand) for the Meteorological Commission of the Cape of Good Hope. From 1897, when the commission introduced a distinction between second order and third order (or climatological) meteorological stations, he was listed as manning a second order station. His observations, with those of many other observers, were tabulated each year in the commission's annual reports.
Stevens was on the staff of the Public Works Department of the Cape Colony in 1902. In 1909 the municipality of Woodstock attempted to recover money from him and the next year he was declared insolvent.