Blunt is identified in the Report of the Albany Museum cited below as "D.-A.-C.-G. Blunt". The initial letters presumably stand for "Deputy-Assistant Chaplain-General". The other sources consulted gives his initial as F.
Blunt appears to have arrived in Grahamstown from Jamaica during the first half of 1867 and was described in the Report of the Albany Museum for that year as "a gentleman devoted to ornithology who ... recently arrived in Grahamstown." He donated a collection of about 100 Jamaican birds to the Albany Museum this year. The collection was considered especially valuable because it contained series of tyrant fly-catchers, cuckoos, and humming-birds. Blunt also collected birds in the Grahamstown area and made many valuable additions to the museum's collection of local birds. His activities led to an increased interest in natural history in the town, which resulted in the formation of the Albany Natural History Society. Curiously, Blunt did not participate in the society's activities, but at its second meeting, on 1 August 1867, was elected as its only honorary member. He may have left Grahamstown soon afterwards, as no further donations from him are mentioned in later Reports of the Albany Museum.