B. South of Grahamstown, in collaboration with James Glass*, presented botanical specimens to the Albany Museum, Grahamstown, during 1891 and 1892. They specialised in orchids and found several species new to the Grahamstown area. In 1893 South contributed a plant of a genus that was new to the museum's collections. Many years later, in 1911, he presented further botanical specimens.
South was probably the owner of the firm Ben H. South, general dealer and seedsman of Grahamstown, which published a List of bulbs and plants... (32p) in Grahamstown in 1910.