P.S. Snyman qualified (BVSc) with the first group of students in the Veterinary Faculty of the Transvaal University College (later the University of Pretoria) at Onderstepoort in 1924. The next year he became a member of the South African Veterinary Medical Association and joined the Division of Veterinary Services, serving as government veterinary officer in KwaZulu-Natal at Nongoma, Durban, and Greytown. From 1929 to 1934 he was attached to the Veterinary Research Institute at Onderstepoort where he also served as a lecturer. During these years, in 1931, he isolated organisms causing bovine contagious abortion in a dairy herd where Brucella abortus infection could definitely be excluded. The organisms corresponded to those described by T. Smith in the United States as the cause of certain outbreaks of the disease.
Snyman returned to field duties in 1934 as sub-director for the Orange Free State. In 1940 he obtained the DVSc degree with a thesis on Rabies. In 1946 he became assistant director for the Transvaal region, until his promotion to director of field services. During this time he was involved in the control of rabies and bovine tuberculosis.
After his retirement in 1959 he farmed in the Greytown district of Natal, but moved to Pietermaritzburg a few months before his death.