William M. Rogers, father of Archdeacon F.A. Rogers*, was an English clergyman and botanical collector. He came to the Cape Colony in 1860 and was stationed at Riversdale from January to June that year and then at George until September 1862. He collected plants at both these places, and at Caledon in October 1862, but then returned to England with health problems. Most of his Cape plants were later presented to the British Museum (Natural History), but he also presented a parcel of plants from various parts of the Cape Colony to the herbarium of the Royal Botanical Gardens at Kew.
Long after his return to England Rogers started writing articles on the floras of various regions of England, including parts of Devon, Dorset, and the Isle of Wight. These were published in the Journal of Botany from 1877 onwards. From the late 1880's he began to specialise in the genus Rubus (brambles), describing many new species from various regions in the same journal. His most important botanical work was his Handbook of British Rubi (London, 1900, 111p), which earned him a reputation for creating many additional species. He was elected a Fellow of the Linnean Society in 1881. Several species were named after him, including Gladiolus rogersii, Ornithogalum rogersii, Scilla rogersii, and Moraea rogersii.