Charles A. Pym, son of Captain John Pym of the Second Bombay Light Cavalry, came to South Africa on account of his health and settled in Grahamstown about 1876. He was the father Frank Pym*. Charles was employed as a journalist by Messrs Grocott & Sherry of Grahamstown and at the time of his death in 1902 he was sub-editor of Grocott's Penny Mail, one of the town's newspapers. He was a popular figure, as shown by the large turn-out for his funeral.
In 1890 Pym was listed as a founding member of the revived Albany Natural History Society, which had previously existed from 1867 to 1875. He served on the society's first management committee and was re-elected to this position in March 1892. However, the society foundered later that year. He was knowledgeable about insects and during 1890 identified butterflies for the Albany Museum, Grahamstown. On 15 October 1891 he was scheduled to read a paper on Grahamstown's butterflies before the society, but on the appointed day the paper was read on his behalf by Dr W.R. Chew*. He donated insects to the Albany Museum in 1894.
Pym was married to Anette A. Heathcote.