William M. Pye qualified as a veterinarian (MRCVS) in Edinburgh in June 1891. In April 1893 he was appointed veterinary assistant to the Colonial Bacteriologist, Alexander Edington*, at the Colonial Bacteriological Institute in Grahamstown. He arrived in Cape Town in June that year. Although he succeeded J.D. Borthwick*, he has been described as the first research veterinarian in southern Africa (Curson, 1932). Early in 1896 he joined E.A. Hollingham in practice in Johannesburg, where he also acted as consultant to the Sanitary Board of the city. During the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902) he served in the Imperial Light Horse regiment and assisted with the medical care of patients in the hospital during the siege of Ladismith. After the relief of that town he joined the Army Veterinary Department as a civil veterinary surgeon. When the war ended he returned to Johannesburg and resumed private practice. For a few months at the end of 1902 he acted as government veterinary surgeon for Johannesburg under the Glanders Law (No. 8) of 1894. In 1903 he became a member of the newly founded Transvaal Veterinary Medical Association. His death took place "under tragic circumstances" (Curson, 1932) in Pretoria early in 1905.