Alexander Pardy, Bachelor of Science (BSc), joined the civil service of Natal Colony on 1 November 1898 as "officer in charge of plant for fumigating fruit trees". By 1902 he was "oficiating analyst" in the Department of Agriculture, and on 1 November 1904 was appointed as analyst to the experimental stations of the Department of Agriculture. From 1899 to 1908 he published many articles in the Natal Agricultural Journal on matters relating to agricultural chemistry and pests, for example, "Brown scale on Dewberry plant" (1899); "mealie blight" and "Fertilisers" (the latter in five parts, 1900); "soil improvement" (1902); "Phosphoric acid", "Science and agriculture" (in four parts), and "Soil analysis" (1905); notes on manures (1906); several articles on soil chemistry (1907); and "Blood manure", "Local bone dust", "Natal mineral phosphates", "Sugar beets", and "Wattle bark analyses" (1908). In 1905 he was co-author, with A.N. Pearson*, of a review paper, "The sugar industry of Natal", which was included in the volume Science in South Africa, published in preparation for the joint meeting of the British and South African Associations for the Advancement of Science in South Africa later that year. Two years later he delivered an unpublished paper on "The mechanical conditions of soils" at the fifth annual congress of the South African Association for the Advancement of Science, held in Natal in 1907. He left the Natal civil service about 1908, but in 191O was still a member of the association, living in Elgin, Scotland. By 1908 he had been elected a Fellow of the Chemical Society of London (FCS).