George Hewitt Beatty, son of James Beatty and his wife Mary Elizabeth Hewitt, was the general manager of the Randfontein mine, belonging to the Randfontein Central Gold Mining Company, in 1922, when he gave evidence before the Mining Industry Board. He served as president of the Transvaal Chamber of Mines during 1936-1937 and again during 1939-1940. In 1939 he opened a pavilion presented by the Chamber of Mines to the Witwatersrand Agricultural Society in honour of the splendid work of the chairman of the society, Mr John Roy. At his death his occupation was given as director of companies. He was married to May Beart, but they had no children.
The only known contribution made by Beatty to the scientific literature is a paper on "Faulting phenomena in Rand Mines", published in the Journal of the Chemical, Metallurgical and Mining Society of South Africa (1910-11, Vol. 11, pp. 366-370). In 1926 he presented an unusually large crystal of the mineral sperrylite (a diarsenide of platinum) to the mineralogical collection of the British Museum (Natural History). The crystal came from a mine on the farm Tweefontein, some 16 km north-northwest of Potgietersrust (now Mokopane). The crystal was described in the Mineralogical Magazine by L.J. Spencer of the British Museum in 1926.