Charles A. Ledoux (also Le Doux) was a Fellow of both the Linnean Society (FLS) and the Entomological Society of London (FES Lond). He appears to have arrived in South Africa in 1899. On 25 May that year he was appointed at the Colonial Bacteriological Institute, Grahamstown, as director's assistant under Dr A. Edington*, remaining in this post to about 1903. During 1899 "Dr Ledoux", who had for many years made a special study of butterflies, identified and revised the naming of the lepidoptera collection of the Albany Museum, Grahamstown. He became a member of the South African Philosophical Society that same year, but was no longer listed as a member in 1906.