Reverend Charles Earp Jones (sometimes Charles Earp-Jones), of the (Anglican) Church of the Province of South Africa, married Caroline Mary Morris on 6 January 1881 in Namaqualand. He was stationed at Port Nolloth around 1890 but by 1896 resided in Mossel Bay, where he served the church as rector until 1903. From 1896 he manned a second order meteorological station there for the Cape of Good Hope Meteorological Commission. A summary of his observations was published in the commission's annual reports for 1896 to 1903, after which the station was closed. He then moved to Abbotsdale, near Malmesbury, where he started a new meteorological station. After providing observations during 1905 this station too was closed. Jones subsequently served the church in Malmesbury (1908-1909), Paarl (1910) and Lower Paarl (1911). He remained in Paarl to about 1915, but the next year was a member of the town council of Knysna.