James Sprunt Jamieson, chemist, was the eldest son of D.M. Jamieson. He was educated at the George Watson's College, Edinburgh, and studied chemistry at the University of Edinburgh. In 1896 he came to Natal Colony and joined the Natal Police. On 1 November 1898 was appointed senior assistant analyst in the Government Laboratory in Durban, under the government analyst Edmund N. Nevill*. His appointment became permanent in November 1902. By 1906 he was a Fellow of both the (British) Institute of Chemistry and the Chemical Society. That year he saw active service in the Zulu rebellion as a lieutenant in the Natal Field Artillery. After the formation of the Union of South Africa in 1910 his post was changed to first grade chemical assistant, in the same laboratory, with effect from April 1912. By 1922 he was working in the Government Laboratory in Johannesburg.
Jamieson's publications included "Examination of the bark and seed oil of Trichilia emetica" (Report of the South African Association for the Advancement of Science, 1916, pp. 496-498) and three papers in the Journal of the South African Chemical Institute on Natal coal (1919) and on arsenic (1921, 1925).
In 1912 Jamieson became a foundation member of the South African Association of Analytical Chemists, served on its council from 1912, was elected president for 1916/7, and in 1919 represented the Association on a Joint Committee of Technical Societies. The Association was renamed the South African Chemical Institute in 1921. Jamieson still served on its council for 1922/3, but was no longer a member by 1934.
He was married to Eva Maud Jamieson, born Darke.