M. Irniger started work as taxidermist at the Albany Museum, Grahamstown, in December 1892, succeeding Carl Wilde*. In 1895 he and Frank A.O. Pym* became the first persons to collect archaeological material for the museum in the area. Irniger explored rock shelters at King's quarry near the town, where he found numerous pottery fragments. He managed to restore most of a very large pot, which was taken up in the museum's collection. His material, with that donated by other collectors, was described by the director, Dr S. Schonland*, in a paper "On some Hottentot and Bushman pottery in the collection of the Albany Museum", published in the first volume of the Records of the Albany Museum (1903).
Irniger left his post at the museum in 1900 owing to ill health. He was succeeded by Max Wende.*