Cuthbert Baring Horwood qualified as Bachelor of Science (BSc) at the University of London and subsequently became a Fellow of the Geological Society of London, an associate of the Royal School of Mines (London), and an associate member of the (British) Institution of Civil Engineers. He was a geologist on the Witwatersrand from 1903, when he became a member of the Geological Society of South Africa and began to contribute to its proceedings. During the next decade several papers by him were published in the society's Transactions, dealing with a variety of topics and including the following: "The red granite of Balmoral and its relation to the cobalt lodes" (1904), "Notes and analyses of typical Transvaal rocks" (1910), "Iridosmine [Osmiridium] from the new Rietfontein mines: Its occurrence, analysis and genesis" (1912), and "Note on the relationship between the Black Reef Formation and the Ventersdorp diabase" (1912). In another paper, "The mode of occurrence and genesis of the carbon in the Rand banket" (1910), published in the same journal, he presented the first systematic description of the carbon and noted its association with high gold values - an observation made years earlier also by P. Garnier*. Unlike Garnier, Horwood did not think the carbon was of organic origin. He also described "The old granites of the Transvaal and of south and central Africa" (Geological Magazine, 1909).
At the joint meeting of the British and South African Associations for the Advancement of Science in Johannesburg in 1905, Horwood read a paper on "The dolomite formation of the Transvaal", which was printed in the Addresses and papers... (Vol. 2, pp. 68-80) published after the meeting. That same year his monograph on The Witwatersrand and associated beds, dealing with the geology of the goldfields, was published in Johannesburg. His most important work, however, was a substantial book, The gold deposits of the Rand, published in London in 1917.
Horwood was a member of the South African Association for the Advancement of Science from 1906 or earlier to at least 1910. By 1915 he had returned to London and in 1919 resided at St Briavels, Gloucestershire, England.