Miss G.E. Baines was an assistant in zoology at the Albany Museum, Grahamstown, from 1905 to at least 1912. In 1910 she completed the cataloguing of that part of the bird collection not on display. Two years later the director, Dr Selmar Schonland* wrote in his annual report that "Miss Baines is now able to stuff birds fairly well so that we are no longer dependent on outside taxidermists in this respect". That year she also skilfully mounted a Hottentot skeleton that the museum had purchased from Reverend H. Kling* of Steinkopf, Namaqualand.
In 1914 Baines collected ants from Grahamstown, which were presented to the South African Museum in Cape Town (now the Iziko Museums of Cape Town).