Miss M.F. Hocky donated 36 fossil shells from the Cockscomb to Albany Museum, Grahamstown, in 1898. The railway station Cockscomb is some 70 km north-west of Uitenhage and the shells were probably collected from the westward extension of the Uitenhage Group (Cretaceous).
The name Hocky may be an error for Hockey, and Miss Hocky may therefore be related to Mrs W.L. Hockey of Kelley Street, Port Elizabeth, who donated a collection of some 20 species of shells from New Zealand and other localities to the Port Elizabeth Museum in 1904.
Another possibility is that Miss M.F. Hocky is the same person as Miss M.F. Hickey*, who donated shells to the Port Elizabeth Museum in 1905 and around the same time collected land snails in KwaZulu-Natal.