Arthur Edward Haviland, son of George Edward Haviland and his wife Maria Jane, born Darby, resided in or near Estcourt, Natal, from 1894 or earlier to at least 1911. In 1903 he intended to fence the farms "Merryfield" and "Kingsley" near the town and the next year wished to exchange these farms for the adjoining crown lands. In 1911 he tried to acquire serum against east coast fever.
Haviland donated ants from Estcourt, Durban, Basutoland (now Lesotho) and from various heights above sea level in Natal to the South African Museum between 1889 and 1899. His main donation was made in 1898 and included examples of all the species of termites collected and identified or described by his brother, G.D. Haviland*. Eight of the ten species were new to the museum's collections. He also studied small insects of various other orders and donated specimens to the museum from 1894 to 1897. In 1895 his donation included a good series of Hymenoptera, of which three species were new to the museum's collections, and a number of Coleoptera, including many interesting small specimens. More Hymenoptera, all from Natal and most from Estcourt, followed in 1897.
In later years Haviland moved to the Weenen district, where he resided on the farm "Slievyre". From 1913 to 1923 part of the townlands of Weenen were mortaged to him.