Arthur Everitt Val Davies, electrical engineer, was the son of George Valentine Davies and his wife Elizabeth Ann, born Cogan. On 5 October 1910 he married Anita Josephine Mossot, with whom he had two sons. After they were divorced in 1939 he married Jessie Margaret Melvill, who survived him.
Davies was a graduate of the Royal Technical College, Glasgow, and from 1900 to 1905 held an engineering apprenticeship with the Glasgow firms of messrs Mavor and Coulson and messrs Duncan Stewart and Company. In 1906 he worked as a shift engineer for the Mexican Power and Light Company and the following year settled in Johannesburg. During the next three years he worked on projects related to gas engines, printing machinery, and gold mining apparatus. From 1910 to 1912 he was resident engineer for the Electricity Supply Concession at Delagoa Bay (now Maputo, Mozambique). He then joined the Victoria Falls Power Company and became responsible for the maintenance and repair of all generating plant and transformer equipment. In 1918 he became assistant city electrical engineer of Cape Town. He resigned from this position in 1921. Thereafter he worked for the Cape Provincial Administration and in 1923 opened a consulting engineering practice in Johannesburg. Among others he drew up plans of a proposed water reticulation system for Sterkstroom, Eastern Cape (1929), the site of a proposed hydro-electric development on the Gcuwa River near Butterworth, Transkei (1933), and a proposed water scheme for the municipality of Butterworth (1935).
During the earlier parts of his career Davies published three papers in the Transactions of the South African Institute of Electrical Engineers: "Large generator and transformer failures on the Rand Power Companies' systems" (1916), "Notes on the specification of ac switchgear for a municipal generating system" (1919), and "Notes on pulverised fuel in practice" (1923). He was a member of the (British) Institution of Electrical Engineers and of the South African Institute of Electrical Engineers. In 1919 he became an external examiner in electrical engineering in the University of Cape Town.