Constance G. ("Daisy") Adams, daughter of John and Mary Adams, lived in Warrenton from 1890, but attended Vredenburgh High School, Cape Town, where she won several prizes for botany. Following her school education she took a short course in teaching. She started collecting plants around Warrenton while still at school and donated specimens to the Albany Museum, whose director, Dr. S. Schonland*, was a friend of her father. In April 1902 she presented a specimen of a new succulent, but it was not recognised as a new species at the time. In 1912 the species was named Lithops lesliei by N.E. Brown*, in honour of T.N. Leslie*.
By 1903 Adams had donated numerous specimens, and Schonland planned to draw up a complete list of plants from the Warrenton area with her help. She donated some more specimens from there in 1905. The next year she attended the annual congress of the South African Association for the Advancement of Science in Kimberley as an associate (temporary member).
In 1907 the family moved to Kimberley, where she taught for two years and collected plants for the herbarium of the McGregor Museum (established there in 1908). In January 1910 she married Percival Tardrew, with whom she had four children. They moved to Bloemhof, and in 1936 to Johannesburg. She presented some plants to the herbarium of the National Botanical Institute in Pretoria under her married name.